Wednesday 18 July 2007

Lament for the young

I was trying to use the predictive text mode today to send one of those new-fangled text message thingies. A couple of things disturbed me about the dictionary and what it means for the new generation.

Firstly, Elvis does not come up. This must mean that an entire generation of young people is not expected to have anything to say about, or possibly even any knowledge of, the King. I wonder if they have heard of the Beatles.

Secondly, the word 'Nun' comes up before the word 'Mum'. I can't imagine that a significant enough proportion are contemplating convent entry, so the only explanation can be that text messaging is used more for cheap jokes than for communication about (or with) the nuclear family.

Honestly, the next generation. You do realise, I hope, that your pensions will only be maintained by their contribution to the economy. Start stockpiling the baked beans and solid fuels now...

No comments: